Jun

Chai-Spiced Salmon Steaks with Lemon Dill Potatoes

What you’ll need…

Lemon Potatoes:

4 cups baby potatoes (halved)

1/2 cup fresh dill (chopped)

1 lemon (juice and zest)

1/4 cup butter (melted)

salt and pepper

Salmon Steaks:

1 TBSP Indian spiced chai tea

2 cloves garlic

1/4 cup yellow onion

1 lemon (zest, juice of 1/2)

1/2 chili powder

2 TSP cane sugar

1 TSP salt

1 TSP black pepper

olive oil

4 salmon steaks

If you asked this salmon what food trend is ‘so last year’, it would probably say cedar planking! Now, these fish are all about getting a chai tea-based paste rubbed all over them. Trust me, I did a poll. The taste of these salmon steaks had me proclaim: ‘This salmon must have swam upstream in awesome before being caught!’. Yes, it was that good. I know a cook with tea a fair bit (examples A & B), and it may seem a bit odd to some of you, but I guarantee it is most often rewarding. Unless you do something really weird and add Earl Grey to a cream-based soup. That would be a disaster….or would it? I’ll try it and let you know.

First things first, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the potatoes, dill, lemon (even the lemon halves, post squeezing!), and butter in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Toss to combine. Season liberally the salt and pepper, place into a medium-sized prepared baking tray, cover, and let roast for 40 minutes. Take out once or twice to turn the potato halves.

While your potatoes are roasting away, it’s time to make your paste. You can quite easily take all of the salmon steak ingredients, aside from the salmon itself obviously, and use your food processor to combine. However, I much prefer using a mortar and pestle. It’s a good workout, and also works well if you need to get some anger out. Mash, bash, mash! Once you get the paste to a, well, paste-y consistency, rub it lovingly on each of your salmon steaks. Place into a prepared baking dish, top each steak with a slice of two of lemon as well. Cover, and place in the oven for 15 minutes.

(just in case it’s not clear, you can pop the salmon in while the the potatoes are still cooking, so both can finish up at around the same time.)

If you want to be a little bit fancier with the steaks, I like to sometimes uncover them a few minutes early, sprinkle some sugar on top of each and place under high broil to caramelize them on top. Feel free to try it out! As well, the rice-like item in the photo is kamut. It’s a cool grain! I’ve never used it before, but my mom decided to send me a bag of it? Anyway, place the salmon and potatoes on whatever type of grain/rice you please!

Dish out some salmon and potatoes to each plate, and enjoy!

Serves 4

Total cook time…50 min

10 Comments to “Chai-Spiced Salmon Steaks with Lemon Dill Potatoes”

• Josh June 9, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I bet this would taste equally as amazing on the bbq!

• Melissa June 9, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I found this very enjoyable reading. You have clearly taken awesome lessons.
    I frequently whisk by hand and use a meat tenderizer for things that don’t need it (like crushing nuts…the edible kind, of course) for reasons you mention. Perhaps I shall now invest in a mortar and pestle.

• Dan June 10, 2011 at 9:21 am

You should! They’re so cheap and handy! :)

• Carlene June 11, 2011 at 6:49 pm

This looks great! I’m totally going to have to try this recipe with the salmon in my fridge.

• Sarah June 12, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Just the picture makes me want to cook this!

• Melissa June 14, 2011 at 11:19 am

Just got my mortar and pestle!! Along with a new set of knives that cost more than the down payment on my condo. Woo-hoo! I can’t afford anything to cook now, but equipment looks *real* good.

• flourtrader June 15, 2011 at 3:05 am

Cool idea, using Chai on Salmon. Great photo. I have bookmarked this to try soon. thanks for sharing.

• Smokey Tomato And Chorizo Soup « Dan's Good Side January 18, 2012 at 10:46 pm

[...] some lapsang souchong tea kicking around the house and since I hadn’t used tea in a recipe since the summer, I thought its smokey flavour fit the bill perfectly for a tomato and chorizo style soup. I know it [...]

• London Fog Pound Cake « Dan's Good Side December 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm

[...] leave it to me to try putting tea into just about everything…I’ve put it in soup and on fish before, so why not try it in a cake, right? On a mildly unrelated note, my iPhone (4!) took this [...]

• Featured member blog: Dan’s Good Side | Food Bloggers of Canada February 15, 2013 at 5:04 am

[...] post are you most proud of and why? Hm…probably this recipe for Chai-Spiced Salmon Steaks and Lemon Dill Potatoes. It was the first time I can remember a person coming up to me and telling me that they made one of [...]

Follow us on Twitter! Follow us on Twitter!
For great food ideas and possibly some laughs follow me on twitter!

Recent Posts

Categories

Tags

Flickr Photostream
So happy for Kara @ourPARKonline for a SOLD-OUT amazing PARK Show 2011! Great night! Give her some props #yycAwesome. Tassels are a gal's best friend. PARK Show 2011. Lookin' good! How's your night #yyc?Cheers to spring! PARK Show #yyc @ourPARKonline #yyc #fashion #Canada #awesomePhotographers a plenty. Amazing talent thus far at PARK show @ourPARKonline Click, click. #yyc #fashion #Canadathe ever talented @joeycamacho and @Caitlin_Power at PARK show 2011 @ourPARKonline. Awesome #yycSee...@Caitlin_Power does like me.

Powered by WordPress