Sep

Garlic Zucchini And Fava Bean Dip

What you’ll need…

1 medium zucchini (cut length-wise, then quartered)

1/2 bulb roasted garlic

2 13.5oz cans fava beans (drained, reserve liquid from 1 can)

1 lemon (zest and juice)

1 TSBP red wine vinegar

2 TSP dried oregano

1 TSP dried basil

salt and pepper

olive oil

roasted hazelnuts (for garnish, optional)

If you have a vegetable garden, saying goodbye to summer usually coincides with saying: ‘What the hell am I supposed to do with all of this zucchini?!’ Let’s be serious here, deep down, I know everyone has a secret, undying love for zucchini…or, maybe it’s just me…I do seem to be on a bit of a zucchini kick lately, but too many recipes options than not enough, right? Anyway, this is a nice simple dip that will go over well as an appetizer, or even pretty rad as a spread for sandwiches. Hummus is so last year anyway…

Start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees. Place the pieces of zucchini in a medium-sized bowl, drizzle with some olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then toss a few times to evenly coat. Pop the chunks into a prepared baking dish and let roast in the oven for 20 minutes, turn over once at the halfway point. Once the squash is nice and roasted, remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.

Next, place the zucchini and all remaining ingredients (including the reserved liquid from the canned beans) into a food processor or blender. Slowly pour in some olive oil while pulsing the mixture. Blend until smooth. Add some freshly ground black pepper, taste, and then a pinch of salt if needed. Pour the mixture into a bowl and let chill inthe refridgerator for at least an hour. Top with toasted hazelnuts for an added crunch, and serve with some homemade crackers or warm foccacia!

Yields 4 cups of dip

Total cook time…30 min (not including chill time)

9 Comments to “Garlic Zucchini And Fava Bean Dip”

• Jordan September 20, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I have so many zucchinis left that are just begging to be eaten. I may have to make 40 pounds of this!

• Julie September 23, 2011 at 9:33 am

Divine! since fava beans are in season, I may give this a shot with some fresh ones!

• Hester aka The Chef Doc September 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Ooh! What a great idea!

• Kat @ Sensible Lessons September 24, 2011 at 6:43 am

This is exactly what I need to do with the hand full of zuc’s I have from my garden. Love the combination of fava beans, garlic and zucchini’s!! Thanks- kat

• Peggy September 24, 2011 at 9:17 am

Oh this dip sounds awesome!

• Dan September 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Let me know if you do try it out! :)

• Susan Walter Sink September 30, 2011 at 4:23 am

Is there a measurement on the zucchini and lemon? Volume or weight? organic produce can vary in size a lot from conventional so weights are really helpful. Thanks!

• Dan September 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm

You’re so right about the zucchinis! Sorry, I’m bad for that. :) I would say 2 1/2 cups of zucchini, 2 TSP lemon zest, and 1TBSP lemon juice. Hope that helps you out!

• Score a Taste Touchdown with Great Game Day Dips | Yummly February 1, 2012 at 12:06 pm

[...] Garlic Zucchini And Fava Bean Dip (from Dan’s Good Side) [...]

Follow us on Twitter! Follow us on Twitter!
For great food ideas and possibly some laughs follow me on twitter!

Recent Posts

Categories

Tags

Flickr Photostream
So happy for Kara @ourPARKonline for a SOLD-OUT amazing PARK Show 2011! Great night! Give her some props #yycAwesome. Tassels are a gal's best friend. PARK Show 2011. Lookin' good! How's your night #yyc?Cheers to spring! PARK Show #yyc @ourPARKonline #yyc #fashion #Canada #awesomePhotographers a plenty. Amazing talent thus far at PARK show @ourPARKonline Click, click. #yyc #fashion #Canadathe ever talented @joeycamacho and @Caitlin_Power at PARK show 2011 @ourPARKonline. Awesome #yycSee...@Caitlin_Power does like me.

Powered by WordPress